Lifeguard Hiring Sessions
Interested in working as a lifeguard at a NORDC pool? Come to one of our lifeguard hiring sessions on Thursdays at the Milne Rec Center located at 5420 Franklin Avenue. Training is provided and you must be at least 16 years old to apply.
- Original Social Security Card
- Driver’s License or State ID
- Original Birth Certificate and school ID (if applicant does not have a license or state ID)
- Work permit (if under the age of 18)
- Work permits can be picked up from the main office 5420 Franklin Ave. and must be signed by the applicant’s school or job 1 prior to attending a hiring session
For questions, please call the Aquatics Office at 504-658-3044.
About NORDC Pools
Swim with NORDC! All of our pools are fully-accessible and staffed with friendly, professional lifeguards. For everyone’s enjoyment, health, safety, and protection, please take a few moments to review the pool rules which include requirements for bathing attire and flotation devices. To read the pool rules click here.
All indoor pools are closed from 12:00pm - 1:30pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for mandatory maintenance and cleaning.
Pools may become temporarily closed in any case of bad weather. In compliance with national aquatics safety standards, outdoor and indoor pools will be closed immediately if lightning or thunder is present in or around the area. The pool will remain closed until 30 minutes after the last visible lightning strike or episode of thunder
Swim Lessons & Aqua Fitness
Swim lessons meet either twice per week (Mon/Wed or Tue/Thu) or once per week (Fri or Sat). Aqua Fitness classes are held daily and participants may attend as many classes as desired weekly. Download a registration form here and bring it to the pool of your choice. View all class descriptions here
Year Round Indoor Pools
Hours Of Operation
Monday - Friday 8am-8pm
Joe W. Brown Pool
5601 Read Blvd. (504) 658-3020
1616 Caffin Ave. (504) 658-3067
900 N. Villere St. (504) 658-3162
NORDC Pool Rules
- Swimming is permitted only while lifeguards are present and on duty.
- Children 10 years old and younger must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older.
- All children who are not toilet-trained must wear a swim diaper, a bathing suit and/or plastic pants.
- Running, rough play, horseplay, dunking and/or throwing children is not allowed. Inappropriate language will not be tolerated.
- Excessive breath holding and breath holding games are prohibited.
- Before entering the pool, patrons must shower with soap and rinse.
- Glass containers, food, drinks, gum, animals, tobacco products, alcohol, drugs and firearms are prohibited from pool decks and locker rooms.
- Children less than 8” taller than water depth must be accompanied by parent, guardian or instructor IN THE WATER, unless the child has demonstrated that he/she can pass a deep end test each time the child attends the pool.
- Persons with rashes, open wounds or sores are not allowed in the water.
- Lined swimsuits or bathing suits are required to enter the water. No cut-offs, jean shorts, or clothing other than swimming attire is permitted. Gym shorts, sports bras, and under clothing are not proper swim attire. A t-shirt and/or shorts made from nylon, rayon, or polyester may be worn over a bathing suit while in the water. Cotton clothing is not allowed in the pool.
- Diving, flips, twists and backwards jumps are not allowed.
- Only one person is allowed on a ladder at a time.
- No climbing, hanging, or tampering with lane lines, lifeguard or facility equipment.
- Lifeguards must approve all toys and flotation devices – SCUBA and other large equipment is prohibited. All life jackets must be clearly labeled as Type II or Type III U.S. Coast Guard Approved. It is highly recommended that all non-swimming children wear life jackets while in the pool area.
- NORDC is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- In keeping with national aquatics safety standards, outdoor and indoor pools will be closed immediately if lightning or thunder is present in or around the area. The pool will remain closed until 30 minutes past the last visible lightning strike or episode of thunder.
- The lifeguard is the authority in the pool and locker rooms. Failure to comply with the rules may result in dismissal from the pool and locker room areas.
- Earrings are not allowed in the pool.
- Children 48 inches and under are not allowed to enter pools without one-on-one adult supervision and must be accompanied by an adult (18 years and older) at all times.